WBA Foundation Grant Program
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
The Women's Bar Association Foundation (WBAF) is pleased to announce application guidelines for its 2019 grantmaking cycle. Click here for the 2019 WBAF Grant RFP in PDF form.
Project Funding Criteria
The mission of the WBA Foundation is to leverage the generosity of lawyers and friends to support nonprofits that serve the legal and related needs of women and girls in the DC Metropolitan community. The WBAF welcomes proposals that will further its mission in the Metro DC Region and is interested in funding a diverse group of projects. The WBAF evaluates each proposal on its own merits and in comparison to the other projects being funded by the WBAF in that year.
Eligibility, restrictions and types of support
- Grants will be made only to tax-exempt organizations that qualify under section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code or to an organization that is seeking tax-exempt status and is affiliated with, maintains a fiscal sponsor relationship with or is participating in an incubator program with a qualified 501(c) organization.
- Grants will not be made to individuals, except for our Founders Fellowship.
- The Foundation does not fund general operating expenses. However, we will consider funding indirect costs associated with administering a specific project that will be supported by the Foundation.
- The Foundation does not support university faculty chairs, endowments, capital campaigns or building funds, or other foundations.
- The Foundation does not make loans, fund political campaigns or activities, support programs with a religious component or requirement, award tuition reimbursements, provide sponsorships, or buy tickets or tables for special events as part of its grantmaking program.
- The Foundation is especially interested in providing seed funding to younger organizations or new programs where the impact of the Foundation’s support is direct and measurable.
Grant Award Amounts
Historically, the WBAF has awarded grants ranging in size from $2,500 - $10,000. The WBAF does not consider requests for multi-year grants at this time.
Regrettably, given limited resources, the WBAF cannot support all eligible projects. Please review our guidelines thoroughly to determine if your organization, program, project or initiative meets the Foundation’s criteria. It will be especially helpful if you describe the geographic region served by your program, specifically how your organization or program engages in targeted outreach to women and girls, how your program design takes into account barriers impacting women and girls, and the percentage of women and girls served by your program.
Each organization submitting a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) will be notified via e-mail of the Foundation's decision regarding submission of a full proposal. Organizations invited to submit proposals will receive written instructions regarding further requirements at that time. Full proposals are reviewed by the WBAF Board of Directors, which will make final funding determinations. We will contact you if a site visit or additional information is necessary. We will notify you of the Foundation's final decision on your proposal by phone and by e-mail.
Applicants should submit a Letter of Intent using the Washington Grantmakers Common Grant Letter of Inquiry Format. The letter should be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
If invited to submit a full proposal, applicants must use the Washington Grantmakers Common Grant Application format.
After a grant has been awarded, grantees will be required to submit a final report by February 28. In addition, grantees will be asked to participate in the WBAF's annual grant awards event.
WBAF 2019 Grant Cycle Calendar
7/25/18: Grant Cycle Opened
8/31/18: LOIs due by 5:00 pm
10/12/18: Full proposals invited
11/30/18: Full proposals due by 5:00 pm
1/11/19: Grant announcements made
3/13/19: Grantee awards event
If you have questions, we urge you to contact the WBAF office to discuss your project prior to submitting an application. Staff will be happy to answer any questions regarding our grantmaking program, or may also refer your call to a member of our Grants Committee, if appropriate. Staff can be reached at 202-639-8880 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.