Start Date: 7/31/2020 12:15 AM EDT
End Date: 7/31/2020 11:45 PM EDT
DC United States
Women's Bar Association
Each May, the Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia (WBA) and WBA Foundation hold an event to celebrate the anniversary of the Association. This year, we are marking 103 years of empowering and advancing women lawyers, and while we typically hold this celebration at the National Building Museum, with 600 of our closest friends, circumstances have overtaken our plans and we instead celebrated the WBA virtually, on May 20, 2020. ?
Our event featured:
- A celebration of the works of the WBA and WBAF over the past year
- Remarks from Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (NY)
- Remarks from Sen. Kamala Harris (CA)
- Keynote by Dahlia Lithwick, Senior Editor and Legal Correspondent, Slate; author of the forthcoming Lady Justice, a book about women and the law in the current political climate
- A tribute to our trailblazing past president and Woman Lawyer of the Year, Patricia Gurne, whom we recently lost
- Remarks from our outgoing and incoming leadership
The video from our May 20, 2020 is available for viewing: click here
A guide to the content:
Welcome Remarks, WBA President, Jill Dash: 0:00
Remarks, Sen. Kamala Harris (CA): 8:14
Remarks, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (NY): 8:58
State of the Association, WBA President, Jill Dash: 12:12
State of the Foundation, WBAF President, Bridget Bailey Lipscomb: 18:05
Keynote; Dahlia Lithwick, Senior Editor and Legal Correspondent, Slate; author of the forthcoming Lady Justice: 24:09
Tribute to WBA & WBAF Past President Patricia Gurne: 39:00
Recognition of Incoming Board/Incoming President: 44:09
Incoming President Remarks, Sadina Montani: 47:09
for the year-in-review photos shown prior to the Anniversary Event.
The WBA, like many other organizations, is adapting its operations and programs in light of COVID-19. As we continue our mission of Empowering and Advancing Women Lawyers, your support is appreciated. Please consider a contribution in honor of our 103rd anniversary.
You can make a contribution via the registration link.
WBA is a 501(c)6 organization. Contributions are not tax deductible as charitable contributions, but may be deductible as a business expense. Check with your financial advisor/accountant.